7 Reasons LEDs are Worth the Extra Money
March 5, 2015.
When it comes to easy ways to save energy, people having have been telling us for years to turn off the lights. Do lightbulbs really use that much energy? Is it really worth spending money on expensive light bulbs to save a few bucks on utility bills?
It turns out that lighting uses a substantial portion of our electricity in the U.S. Nearly 11% of home energy use goes towards lighting needs alone. Traditional incandescent light bulbs are also surprisingly inefficient because some of the energy they use to create light is lost as heat, which is extra wasteful in the summer when you’re trying to keep your living space cool and your bills down. They can also cause house fires and are made of lightweight glass, so easily break.
So while the initial price tag of LED light bulbs may be higher, here’s seven reasons they have great value:
- LEDs use up to 90% less electricity than traditional incanescents and up to 50% less than compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). That means they’re an easy and impactful way to reduce your carbon footprint. Something you can feel good about!
- LEDs will actually save you money over the long term. In some circumstances, a single bulb changed saves you $15 per year on your electric bill, meaning the payback time for the investment is reasonable.
- LEDs typically last a long, long time. In fact, you can pretty much forget about ever changing a dead bulb again! Most manufacturers guarantee them for 5 years and they are expected to last over 25 years. If you have an apartment and might move, you should pack your bulbs and take them with you. This amazing long term reliability will eliminate replacement costs - yet more savings - and simplify your life.
- The latest generation of LEDs have great light color temperatures. They come in soft white and warm colors that are enjoyable to be around. They’re far more versatile than traditional incandescents and CFLs, and are great for family rooms, ceiling cans, outdoor applications, task lighting in the kitchen, hallways, closets, bathrooms and more
- LEDs turns on instantly and have no hum or flicker. All LEDs sold by ClimateStore are also fully dimmable, so you can set the mood for a room just the way you like it.
- They come in all shapes and sizes. No matter what you have for a replacement bulb or lighting fixture, there’s an LED that will work for you.
- Unlike CFLs, LEDs contain no traces of mercury or other toxic materials, and can be thrown right in the recycling bin when they eventually run out.
LEDs mean big energy savings. In fact, if you turn off your indoor and outdoor lights when you leave the house for the day or retire for the night, it could slash your lighting carbon footprint in half. And collectively, this makes a huge difference. According to the United States Energy Department, by 2027, widespread use of LEDs could save about 348 TWh (compared to no LED use) of electricity: This is the equivalent annualelectrical output of 44 large electric power plants (1000 megawatts each), and a total savings of more than $30 billion at today's electricity prices. Imagine what we could do with an extra $30 billion!